MapRun GPS Course
Creating a KML Course File Using GPS
To create a course where control locations are not easily identified in
the Google Earth images, you likely need to walk the course, and record a
GPS waypoint at each control location. Then export it, transfer to your
computer, and review in Google Earth.
Using OruxMaps (Android)
You can use the OruxMaps app on android as follows:
- start app and turn GPS tracking (and track logging if wanted) on
- walk the desired course (perhaps backwards since controls in time order)
- at each control location "Create Waypoint" (under waypoint menu))
and give it the control number as name. You may want to create a new folder
to save these waypoints in, as that will make export easier later.
- once done go to "Manage Waypoints", and select the folder used
- select the waypoints you created (ignore any from track log)
- select "Export waypoints to File" icon (in bottom buttons bar)
and save the selected waypoints as a KML file. These will be located
(may be on
- copy the file over to your computer (and rename something meaningful)
Tweaking Your GPS KML File in Google Earth Pro
Next you should load, review and add information to your KML course in
"Google Earth Pro".
- open "Google Earth Pro" and then open the kml file
- move the "Waypoints" folder enclosing your waypoint locations into a
suitable course folder under "My Places"
- reoorder the waypoints into the desired course order (may well be
reversed if you walked the course in order ... walk it backwards maybe!)
- edit the "Properties/Get Info" for each control, check name correct,
add control description
- select the course folder, select "Save Place As..." in the popup menu.
Change the file type to "Kml", choose filename and folder and Save.
- proceed with rest of course creation
Please send any comments, suggestions for improvements, or other feedback to:
Guide written by:
Lawrie Brown - Sunday, 29-Aug-2021 16:02:56 AEST