A Cryptography Primer
School of IT&EE, Australian Defence Force Academy, Canberra, Australia
To next be presented on Tuesday 18th October 2005 to
AUUG 2005 in Sydney.
Data encryption algorithms form an important technical component
in providing secure and authenticated electronic security and
communications. This tutorial is designed to provide attendees with
a brief overview of the field of cryptography, the terms, techniques,
It starts by introducing the classical cryptographic techniques which form
the foundations of the field. We then survey modern private key ciphers,
widely used for bulk and link data encryption, from DES to the new AES
encryption algorithm Rijndael. Next we consider public key encryption
algorithms and signature schemes, essential for the use of cryptography
in large scale, wide area communications. We conclude with a brief look
at a couple of cryptographic applications, illustrating the different
ways these components are combined to build a security solution.
- Introduction, History and Classical Techniques
- Private-Key Encryption Algorithms and Block Ciphers
- Stream Ciphers and the Vernam cipher
- Public-Key Encryption Algorithms
- Digital Signature Algorithms and Hash Functions
- Key Management
- Security in Practise - Secure Email, SSL, WEP
- Review and Terminology
- D Kahn, "The Code Breakers", Macmillan, 1967
- Fred Piper, Sean Murphy, "Crytography: A Very Short Introduction",
Oxford Press, 2002.
- J Pieprzyk, T Hardjono, J Seberry, "Fundamentals of Computer Security",
1/e, Springer-Verlag, 2003.
- B Schneier, "Applied Cryptography", 2nd Edition, Wiley, 1996
- S Singh, "The Code Book", Doubleday, 1999
see also the
author's online resources - www.simonsingh.net
for the book
and the associated
- W Stallings, "Cryptography and Network Security", 3/e, Prentice-Hall, 2002.
author's resources - WilliamStallings.com/Crypto3e.html &
sample chapters from the publisher.
Bruce Schneier's monthly Crypto newsletter - www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram.html
- Cryptography FAQ - www.faqs.org/faqs/cryptography-faq/
- RSA Labs FAQ about
Today's Cryptography - www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/faq/
- Wikipedia - Cryptography
- Yahoo Indexes for Security & Encryption - au.dir.yahoo.com/Computers_and_Internet/Security_and_Encryption/Cryptography/
- Lawrie (Crypto Program) Source Area - www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/~lpb/src/
- AES & DES calculators
Copyright © 2005 Lawrie Brown